Dr. Joseph Ntung
On behalf of the staff of New Designs Charter School–Watts, I’d like to welcome everyone to the 2017 – 2018 academic year. I have been an educator for more than 28 years and it is a privilege to serve as the new principal of this school. Our school was founded with the goal of providing students with a high-quality, college-preparatory education. We work hard every day to prepare our students to be successful in a diverse, highly competitive, and technologically-rich global market.
New Designs has developed an excellent reputation delivering graduates that are career and college-ready. Our unique approach to education includes:
- 100% of our graduates meet University of California admissions requirements (vs. less than 40% for other LAUSD schools);
- “Career Pathways” that gives our students a foundation and early preparation for real-world careers and exposure to rigorous academic programs;
- An Accelerated College Program that allows our students to take college courses at local community and online colleges and earn college credits;
- Extended Learning Academies providing before, after and Saturday School to support student learning (and, coming soon, STEM Afterschool Programs);
- Summer Bridge Programs designed to help new students transition to New Designs.
To reinforce our learning culture, our students wear school uniforms every day. Our brand new facilities also include the latest computer labs.
I am proud to be a part of this movement.
New Designs Charter School–Watts is made up of students who desire to learn and aspire to go to college, parents who support them in this effort, and a staff of dedicated professionals who provide a caring and dynamic learning environment.
I want to encourage all parents and guardians to continue supporting the efforts of their children as they strive to be a beacon of academic success in the community. It is often difficult because of our work schedule to be fully involved in every aspect of our children’s lives, but I encourage everyone to spend a few minutes each day to discuss with your child the importance of education and find out what they are working on in the classroom. I also invite all parents to engage with your child’s teachers, as it is proven that good parent-teacher communication helps children progress in school.
Enjoy the 2017 – 2018 school year with all the excitement and challenges that it will bring. Please feel free to contact me or any of the staff at New Designs Charter School–Watts if you need more information about our school.
Dr. Joseph Ntung,
New Designs Charter School-Watts.